alive and kicking
- to be well and healthy: còn sống, khỏe mạnh, tràn đầy sức sống
Sam: "How are you feeling, John? I heard you were quite sick recently." John: "I'm still live and kicking!"
as fit as a fiddle
- to be healthy and physically fit: khỏe mạnh, đầy năng lượng
My grandfather is ninety years old but he is as fit as a fiddle.
as pale as death
- extremely pale: trắng bệnh, nhợt nhạt.
The woman in the hospital waiting room was as pale as death
at death's door
- very near death: bên ngưỡng cửa của thần chết, hấp hối
The sales manager was at death's door after his heart attack.
back on one's feet
- physically healthy again: khỏe trở lại, phục hồi trở lại
My mother is back on her feet after being sick for two weeks.
- bruised, showing signs of having been physically harmed: thâm tím
My arm was black-and-blue after falling down the stairs.
break out in a cold sweat
- to perspire from fever or anxiety: toát mồ hôi lạnh
I usually break out in a cold sweat when I have to make a speech.
breathe one's last
- to die: trút hơi thở cuối cùng, chết
The man breathed his last after a long illness.
bring (someone) around
- to restore someone to health or consciousness, to cure someone: cứu sống
The medical workers were able to bring the man around after the accident.
catch one's death (of cold)
- to become very ill (with a cold/flu etc.): cảm lạnh nặng, nghĩa bóng: chết vì lạnh. Thường dùng để cảnh báo mọi người nên ăn mặc ấm áp, tránh ra ngoài khi thời tiết lạnh.
The little boy was told to be careful in the rain or he would catch his death of cold.
clean bill of health
- a report or certificate that a person or animal is healthy: tờ chứng nhận sức khỏe tốt
My doctor gave me a clean bill of health when I visited him last month.
die a natural death
- to die by disease or of old age and not by an accident or by violence: chết tự nhiên do bệnh tật hoặc tuổi già, không phải do tai nạn hay bạo lực
My grandfather was very old and he died a natural death.
- to die suddenly: đột tử
The bus driver dropped dead while driving the bus.
feel on top of the world
- to feel very healthy: cảm thấy rất khỏe, rất tuyệt, trạng thái tinh thần rất tốt
I have been feeling on top of the world since I quit my job.
get a black eye
- to get a bruise or darkened eye after being hit or after bumping into something: thâm tím mắt do bị đánh hoặc va đập vào vật nào đó
The boy got a black eye when he fell in the playground.
get a checkup
- to receive a physical examination from a doctor: đi bác sĩ kiểm tra sức khỏe tổng quát
I go to the doctor every year to get a checkup.
go under the knife
- to have an operation in surgery: trải qua một cuộc phẫu thuật
The woman went under the knife at the hospital last evening.
green around the gills
- to look sick: xanh xao, ốm yếu
My colleague was looking a little green around the gills when he came to work today.